Selamat Hari Raya! As we all know, Freshers’ Week has ended. It was a great experience and definitely reached the objective of having a smooth opening for the frehsers to what they will face in their academic year in Universiti Brunei Darussalam. It was a lot of work and thanks to all the Working Committee during the Freshers’ Week! For now, we would like to talk about an aspect of the FW, the so-called ‘Theme’ in the design of the FW ‘props.’ This is to inform you why we use certain elements in the FW design such as ‘Buluh’ AKA Bamboo and the Honeycomb. Read on to know. Fairly important to designers on how to pitch ideas and analyzing designs
In the design of the FW banner above, the dominant colors are yellow and green. According the meanings of color in color psychology, the color yellow is the color of the mind and the intellect. It is optimistic and cheerful. Green is the color of balance and growth. Both the colors give vibrancy with the addition of the blue ambient from the fonts in which blue is the color of trust and peace. It can suggest loyalty and integrity.
The color may also be interpreted as gold. It is the color of success, achievement and triumph. Associated with abundance and prosperity, luxury and quality, prestige and sophistication, value and elegance.
The design connects the design of the PMUBD Folder and the PMUBD Diary book cover of PMUBD for the Freshers’ Week. The color will also connect to the Freshers’ tag.
The dominant color chosen, referring to the famous standard color wheel, are directly complementary to the corporate blue of most designs on posters we see that UBD has used recently. This gives a feeling of something new yet still hinges to the color theme of UBD’s structures which is orange to yellow color.
The banner also follows the human color wheel by Neil Herbisson, 2008. In which gives the feeling of closer to human touch. Making UBD more interactive with the students and brings them closer to UBD. As we all know, human touch creates a feeling of togetherness. This subliminal messages will have effect on the students.
Next, I would like to emphasize the objects in the banner
1. The path approaching to the light. In the banner, the photograph shwos a path most commonly symbolizes life and the photo background shows a path towards light. Showing people, that UBD will guide them to the right path using the light to guide. The photo used are captured at UBD Campus.
2. Honeycomb, can be found behind the book. It represents strength and unity. Honeycomb also signifies modern designs. Furthermore, most PMUBD designs 2013 use honeycomb. To make consistency in most designs.
3. Freshers’ Week typography. The font are rigid and tall just like the bamboo background photograph connoting to strength and unity.
4. Padi-book Design taken from the logo to connect the logo of UBD to the banner design. A book shows the amount of knowledge that UBD has to share with the students. The new addition to the design of the Freshers’ Week logo is a Feather Pen which means it is the new chapter for the freshers to start. Therefore show UBD build futures for tomorrow, today.
5. Finally, the Bamboo, representing good luck and wealth that stem from the plant’s rapid growth and long life. Bamboo is a symbol of virtue and it reflects people’s souls and emotions. But as undergraduates students, Dependability in a bamboo actually symbolizes the strength that every student should have, in that students should be prepared mentally and physically to face the world which is full of challenges.
As most of us are aware of, the bamboo cannot live on its own. It generally grows in clusters, and this reflects us. We don’t face university life alone. Many others are experiencing it with us, including our family members and friends. This indicates harmony in life and the bonds formed with each other.
Bamboo also symbolizes the strength of relationship. The bamboo shoots need each other in whatever situation and this shows the high spirit of teamwork. This is an attitude that every undergraduate should have at the university. Instead of only depending on one’s self, we must learn to rely on each other as a community. In the end, this is one of the most important lessons that we can learn as a student in Universiti Brunei Darussalam and as a part of an association, Persatuan Mahasiswa/I Universiti Brunei Darussalam.
Thank you for reading!🙂
Ak Muhammad Nur Azmi, Nur Janatul Majidah Bte Hj Abdul Rahman and Dk Siti Amalina Fitri Pg DP Hj Rosli
Executive Committees of Media & Public Relations Officer
Design, the work of the EMPRO Design Team 2013 -Syafiq, Azmi, Hisham, Salihin.
PS/ We have no idea why the JPEG image when uploaded to WordPress turns VERY green. We are also unable to fix it. Sorry!
“Ke arah kesempurnaan Insan”